As Eisner said “It is from surprise that we
are most likely to learn something”(Esner, 8), Freedman and Eisner’s articles
totally surprised me and I felt I learnt something new and useful.
The first chapter in Teaching Visual
Culture and The Arts and the Creation of Mind have some similar statements
about education and identity. “Education, in turn, is the process of learning to
create ourselves.” (Eisner, 3) “Education is a process of identity formation
because we change as we learn: our learning changes our subjective selves.” (Freedman,
2) I think it is a great explanation to response why it is so important for
human beings to receive education. But why art education is essential? “Work in
arts is not only a way of creating performances and products; it is a way of
creating out lives by expanding our consciousness, shaping our dispositions,
satisfying our quest for meaning, establishing contact with others, and sharing
a culture.” All of these make us human beings distinguished from others and
keep our society developing.
A good art curriculum should help students
develop their mind, so art here has critical cognitive functions such as
sensibility, imagination and representation. For example, representation often
does begin with an elusive and sometimes evanescent idea or image. “I found I
could say things with colors and shapes that I couldn’t say any other
way----things I had no words for.”(Georgia O’Keeffe) I think it is only
possible for art to make just this meaningful moment to permanent. Art not only
help people preserve things in a durable way (painting, poem, music), it also
help communication through the artworks. When someone looking at a painting,
even if the artist is dead, they can still communicate. People also transmit
personal ideas to public in this way. And as Freedman said: “They ways we
represent through the realm of visual culture shapes people’s thinking.”
(Freedman, 14)
“Seeing is an achievement, not merely a
task.”(Eisner, 12) Learning to see is primary in studying visual culture. It is the result of making sense of a part of
the world. In Freedman’s statement, the content we should teach students to see
should challenge several boundaries. He indicates the following concepts as foundations of
teaching visual culture: Reconceptualizing the field, Meaningful aesthetics, Social
perspective,
Interactive
cognition, Cultural response, Interdisciplinary interpretation, Technological
experience, Constructive critique. I agree with these aspects are important for
teaching visual culture, because it can alter students’ minds and let them look
at the world in a different way.
“The
curriculum is a mind-altering device. And it should be.” One of the crucial
purposes of designing art curriculum is to improve the way in which students
think. The art medium is a great example. When we teach drawing, there are a
couple of tools we can use: graphic pencils, charcoal pencils, ink and so on.
When we drawing a same thing with graphic pencils, maybe we do not need to
think too much, because it is very easy to erase. When it comes to charcoal
pencils, we may think for a while before we draw, because it is not so easy to
erase, and if we push a little hard, a permanent spot would be left. Then it
comes to ink, we should take a long time think about all the proportion, the
power we should use, how to start and so on. Because ink is an unforgiving
tool, once we mess up, it can hardly make up. From this, we can easily to see
how different medium of art change the way people thinking.
In
the Eric Liu and Scott Noppe-Brandon’s “Imagination first”, I am very
interested in the Spark “Finishing the Story”. The artworks below are from a
Taiwanese artist. Every image presents a famous fairy tale that every student
will be easy to recognize, but the main characters are disappeared. All these
artworks selected the most important moments in this whole story, I will ask
students: “If at that moment, the main characters changed their mind, what will
happen?” And they will draw a picture to express their own endings of the stories.
I think it will be interesting if they finishing these stories in their own
way. And it will definitely explore their imagination.



I love your comment on how art should help develop the mind. I couldn't agree with you more. I believe art to be pure process of self exploration. A medium for self-discovery, finding ones niches/interests, and building the cognitive skills to transform ideas into a product that can be communicated to others.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Allison you hit the nail on the head with your comment about art developing the mind. I love how you brought images into your blog! I kind of want to print them off and draw in my own characters!
ReplyDelete